Chancel repair
Residential Conveyancing

Claiming Adverse Possession of Land

A person who possesses land which is not their own for an extended period of time can claim what is known as adverse possession over the land. The person who does this is known as a ‘squatter’. In England and Wales there are two adverse possession regimes: To claim adverse possession over land, the following